What are the additional residence fees?

  • House Dues $50.00
    o   Each residence has a House Committee which uses these funds to cover the costs of various residence events to encourage positive residence spirit and create a social and welcoming community.


  • Refundable Damage Deposit $250.00
    o   Each first-year residence student will be charged a $250.00 damage deposit with their residence fees. This deposit is transferred to the next year provided the student stays in residence and there are no damages to the room. Students who are not returning to residence apply for the return of their damage deposit. You will need to apply within one year of your departure in order to receive the refund. The damage deposit refund request form is available on鈥eRezLife.


  • Laundry Fee $65.00
    o   Each residence has laundry facilities available for residents only. This fee covers the use of both the washer and dryer.   


  • Fridge Fee ($125 for a single room / $62.50 for a double room
    o   Each residence room has its own mini fridge which cannot be removed from the room.


Can I move in early?
Early arrivals will be processed on a case-by-case basis. Generally, early applicants are only accepted based on international travel and/or academic reasons. The early arrival application form is available in


What should I bring with me to residence?
Although we provide students with a furnished space, many bring items from home that will help personalize the area. 


Your room will have: 

  • Twin-XL bed
  • Desk and chair for each resident
  • Clothing wardrobe for each resident
  • Window blinds
  • Mini Fridge
  • Wi-Fi Access


You will need: 

  • Government issued picture identification
  • Personal toiletries (such as hair dryer and accessories, bath/hand towels, shampoo/conditioner, body soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, flip flops for the shower, etc.
  • Clothes and shoes/boots for fall and winter months
  • Sheets, blankets, and a pillow 
  • Laundry hamper, Non-HE Laundry Detergent and fabric softener (washers and dryers are available in each building)
  • Clothing hangers


You may bring: 

  • Small appliances such as an electric kettle, Keurig/coffee maker, microwave 2.1 cubic feet or less – 1 per room), etc.
  • Decorations such as posters, pictures, rugs, or any other to make your space feel comfortable (Sticky Tac for posters and pictures! No nails or tacks allowed)
  • Your own kitchen utensils
  • Surge protector/power bar

You may not bring:

  • Open element appliances or cooking appliances (BBQ, hot plates, electric grills, deep/air fryers, toasters, etc.)
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Pets
  • Large volume alcohol containers or Items that promote unsafe alcohol consumption (Alcohol is not permitted on campus or residence during Welcome Week
    bubbas, kegs, Texas mickeys, funnels, drinking games/tables, funnels, or any other drinking paraphernalia)
  • Candles including decorative, incense, potpourri burners, and flammable liquids 
    items to be used for religious purposes must be approved by Residence Life Office
  • Explosives/Firecrackers
  • Illegal Drugs
  • Subwoofers/Amplifiers
  • Weapons including large knives, martial arts weapons, firearms, pellet or B.B. guns, or replica weapons.

What is the process if I want to change rooms?
To best serve the more than 400 students within residence life, there is a process in place for any student wishing to change rooms. For the first three weeks of each semester, there will not be any room changes allowed except for emergency purposeThis is designed to allow students an opportunity to settle in and allow for an inventory of spaces to be made optimizing student options if a room change is requested.  

Firstly, it is important to discuss issues with your roommate. University, especially your first year can be a big adjustment. Often, problems can be resolved through open communication. If this is done with no success, you can contact your Residence Coordinator to schedule a meeting to discuss your issue. You can expect the Residence Coordinator to talk through different techniques on addressing potential roommate issues (i.e., mediation) before options about room changes are presented. Mediation must take place before a room change is considered.

If it is deemed necessary to make a room change, the proper paperwork must be completed. Please see “living with a roommate” section in our Residence Guide.

What are the quiet hours?
In order to accommodate an appropriate amount of study and sleep time, the residence community has specific quiet hours. During quiet hours, please keep your door closed and TVs and stereos turned down. It is the primary goal of residence to promote an academic community and quiet hours help us to achieve this goal. Every member of the residence community is expected to work together and help each other to maintain quiet hours. Hours outside of designated quiet hours are still intended to be considerate to your fellow residents. This means that noise levels must still be monitored and not have significant impacts on the rest of the residence community.

  • Sunday – Thursday
    • Moderate Hour 10pm-11pm
    • Quiet Hours 11pm-8am 
  • Friday – Saturday
    • Moderate Hour 12am-1am
    • Quiet Hours 1am-8am 

If you have any questions or concerns about the appropriate noise levels, please see the residents on your floor or your Residence Advisor/Residence Coordinator. It is this kind of consideration which enhances the residence community. 

21 Quiet Hours

During exam periods, the residence community modifies quiet hours to reflect the need for extreme quiet so that study, sleep, and relaxation may be priorities. Overnight guests are not permitted at this time.

  • Monday to Sunday    7:00 pm until 4:00 pm
  • Consideration hours will be observed from 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm

What if I lose my key?

Missing key(s) are charged $50 per key and is payable in Financial Services (George Martin Hall, room 103).  Take the receipt provided by Financial Services to Facilities Management (Edmund Casey Hall, Room 018) to get a replacement key.  


What if I lose my UCard?

  • and follow the emailed instructions.
  • Go to the
  • Cost: $15 for students, faculty, and staff

What if I get locked out of my room?
Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Contact the Residence Office to assist you. 

After Hours
Contact the Residence Advisor on duty to be let back into your room.  


Can I stay in residence during the holidays?

Students are welcome to stay in residence during short holiday periods such as Thanksgiving and March Break. 


However, our residences will close for the Christmas period on December 19, 2023 and reopen on January 7, 2024. This period is not included in your residence fees. 

Is smoking permitted in residence?
Smoking is not permitted within residence. However, there is a marked designated smoking area located outside each residence.

How do the meal plans work?
St. Thomas University offers All-You-Care-To-Eat dining on campus to allow students to enjoy visits the George Martin Dining Hall to the fullest. All-You-Care-To-Eat meal plans mean that once you have swiped yourself into the dining hall with your student ID/meal card, you are able to enjoy as much or as little food as you wish without worrying about the costs of individual items. There are three meal plan options, for additional information please click .

What if I have dietary restrictions?
Students who have special dietary requirements can call Food Services directly at (506) 460-0310 or email greer-michael@aramark.ca in early fall/spring to make arrangements for specific dietary needs.

What happens if I lose my meal card?
Notify the Food Services Office at (506) 460-0310 or email wall-Kim@aramark.ca as soon as possible. A stop will be put on the card and a temporary card will be issued.

Are there kitchens in residences?
Yes, there is a kitchen in every residence with limited kitchen utensils.

What are the visitation policies/procedures/guidelines?
Residents are welcome to have guests during the academic year (except for holidays and exam times). All overnight guests must be signed in. Please see your Residence Advisors for instructions. Specific policies are outlined in our Residence Guide.


What if I want to leave residence during the academic year?

When you sign the Residence Agreement and accept a residence placement, you are committing to remain in residence for the entirety of the academic year. If you decide to withdraw from residence during the academic year, you will still be financially responsible for residence and meal plan fees. The amounts are based on the official date of withdrawal as outlined in the withdrawal form listed below.


Students wishing to withdraw from residence before the end of their residence agreement must begin the process with a Residence Life Office staff member, located in George Martin Hall, room 303. A withdrawal request form must be completed at the office. The date of the withdrawal for the purpose of fee administration will be the date this approval is given, or the date the student has checked out of residence and returned their keys, whichever is later. In the case of a withdrawal prior to the end of the residence agreement a student’s house dues, damage deposit, residence deposit and laundry fees will be forfeited.

Is there parking for residents?
Parking is available for residence and non-residence students. Parking passes are purchased through . 


Should I get tenant's insurance?
We do strongly encourage obtaining property and general liability insurance coverage to insure your individual property against loss or damage by fire, flood, theft, and other perils. St. Thomas University assumes no responsibility for any damages that may occur to your personal belongings whatever the cause. Check with your parents’ house insurance policy provider because they may have special rates they can offer.


What should I know about moving out of residence at the end of the year?
Before vacating your residence room, you must make arrangements to officially check out with a member of the Residence Life team. Below is a checklist of what needs to be completed prior to leaving. Keep in mind that residents sharing a double room are equally responsible for the condition and furnishings of these areas.


Rooms must be thoroughly cleaned, furniture in original state, all personal belongings must be removed, all garbage removed, drawers wiped clean, walls free from poster tape and stick-tac.

Room Check Forms must be completed and signed by the student and the Residence Advisor/Residence Coordinator.

All Keys must be returned (room, front door and any other keys received since check-in). Residents will be charged a replacement fee of $50 per key if not turned in at check-out.

Where do I go for additional information?
The Residence Life Office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. 


The office is located at 51 Dineen Drive in George Martin Hall, 303. For further information, you may contact the office at (506) 452-0578, or residencelife@stu.ca during regular business hours.